Bachelor of Science in Family Studies Online
This versatile online program is designed to prepare you for a broad range of careers in education, policy, advocacy and more.
In the Bachelor of Science in Family Studies online program from Lamar University, you will explore the relationships within a family unit and its connection to a larger community; child socialization; and human development across the lifespan. Gain valuable knowledge and field experience that open doors to family wellness, family intervention, and community-based or faith-based opportunities. You can further customize your learning to suit your professional goals with eight electives.
Graduate qualified to work with private, non-profit or government agencies that provide care and services for families and children. Earning your B.S. in Family Studies online also gives you a strong academic foundation for a seamless pathway to the LU online Master of Education in Counseling & Development - Marriage Couple & Family Counseling.
This degree program will prepare you to:
- Recognize the elements of healthy relationships and functioning through family research findings
- Reduce family crises before they occur through awareness and prevention methods
- Use an informed approach to help individuals, couples and families identify and build on their strengths
- Strengthen communities by empowering individuals, couples and families to enrich their own well-being
- Perform a high level of cognitive and written proficiency in the identification and application of course content dealing with family-related issues through projects and assignments
- Demonstrate strong oral communication skills and your knowledge of theories related to family studies as well as your ability to apply those theories in real-world applications
- Local, state and national agencies
- Family intervention
- Family wellness
- Community services
The following is the tuition breakdown for students pursuing Bachelor of Science in Family Studies. Our tuition is affordable, and can be paid by the course.
Tuition and fees are subject to change without notice due to action by the Board of Regents or the Texas State Legislature.
Total program cost depends upon transfer hours and program advisement relevant to program requirements. For more information, contact a Lamar University enrollment specialist.
Ready to get started on your degree program online but need help finding ways to fund your education? We can help you discover student financing sources that include grants, loans and other payment options. Learn more about financial aid here.
Our Bachelor of Science in Family Studies online program features multiple start dates to accommodate your busy schedule. Find the start date that works best for you and apply before the application deadline associated with it.
Upcoming Start Dates:
|8 week courses||Program Start Date||Application Deadline||Document Deadline||Payment Due||Last Class Day|
The Bachelor of Science in Family Studies online program has specific requirements that applicants must meet to enroll. Please read the admission guidelines to ensure you qualify.
Submit your application and one-time $25 application fee online.
Submit transcripts from all colleges/universities you have attended.
* All applicants must submit official, sealed transcripts from each institution attended to the Admissions Office. All degrees must be from a regionally accredited institution. Send transcripts to: Lamar University, P.O. Box 10017, Beaumont, Texas 77710
Check to see if the program is offered to residents in your state before applying by clicking here.
All applicants must complete an application packet, consisting of:
- Complete online application and pay an application fee of $25
- Submit official transcripts from all high schools, colleges and universities you have attended
- Verify specific requirements associated with chosen degree program
High school graduates who have not attended college before are considered entering freshmen – even if they received college credit while in high school through dual credit, AP or IB programs. Transfer students with fewer than 18 hours of college credit also must meet admission requirements for entering freshmen.
Incoming freshmen must do three things to qualify for unconditional admission to Lamar University:
- Receive a diploma from an accredited high school
- Complete at least 14 high school credits in college preparatory courses: 4 credits in English, 3 credits in mathematics, 2 credits in laboratory sciences, 2.5 credits in social sciences (U.S. history, U.S. government, and world history or world geography) and 2.5 credits in college preparatory electives (preferably including 2 credits of foreign language)
- Meet the test-optional admission criteria, or achieve a minimum composite score on the ACT or SAT through the secondary review criteria. (Click here for criteria)
Send all required documents to:
Lamar University Online Admissions
PO Box 10017
Beaumont, TX 77710
Submit electronically to [email protected]
The Lamar University Bachelor of Science in Family Studies online features the same quality instruction from supportive faculty as our established on-campus program. Through core coursework and field experiences, you will develop an in-depth understanding of contemporary family issues, the historical context of families, the dynamics of human development, and more.
*Price includes distance learning fee.
Or call 866-223-7675
By submitting this form, I am providing my digital signature agreeing that Lamar University (LU) may email me or contact me regarding educational services by telephone and/or text message utilizing automated technology or a pre-recorded message at the telephone number(s) provided above. I understand this consent is not a condition to attend LU or to purchase any other goods or services.
Ready to Get Started?
Begin your application today!