Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Sciences Online
Gain a valuable, integrated set of skills that encompass computer science, business and engineering to give you an edge in your career.
Explore our B.S. in Computer Information Sciences online program
Become a technology career standout with the essential understanding of computer architecture, organization and systems you will gain in the Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Sciences degree from Lamar University. The coursework in this online bachelor’s degree in computer and information science program covers software design, various computing languages, and how integrating these systematically can help businesses operate more efficiently. You will learn to utilize concepts of structured programming, including software development methodology, data types and control structures.
This online CIS degree program gives you the knowledge and skillsets, including those of designing, building, maintaining and improving computer-based systems, to help businesses, nonprofits and governments achieve their goals through better use of technology. As a graduate, you will be prepared to apply your knowledge of computer systems architecture, database design and network system administration to the information networks that are fundamental to the operations of a broad range of industries.
With practical coursework and experienced faculty, you will be career-ready from day one.
In this program, you will gain the following skills:
- Societal Awareness: Understand the impact of computer technology on society at large, on the workplace environment, and on individuals.
- Scientific Method: Gather requirements, analyze, design and conduct simulations or other computer experiments and evaluate and interpret the data generated.
- Computer Science Technology Skills: Show expertise in the main content areas of computer science including discrete and continuous mathematics including skills in logic and proof writing, analysis and design of algorithms, formal languages and computability theory, operating and database systems, computer architecture and computer networks and distributed computing concepts.
- Software Fundamentals: Demonstrate the ability to use fundamental computer science knowledge to design, document, implement and test software solutions to a wide range of problems, using at least two high-level programming languages.
- Data scientist
- Network architect
- Systems analyst
- Web developer
- Software engineer
Discover the value of our low-cost tuition
The following is the tuition breakdown for students pursuing the Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Sciences. Our tuition is affordable, and can be paid by the course.
Tuition and fees are subject to change without notice due to action by the Board of Regents or the Texas State Legislature.
Total program cost depends upon transfer hours and program advisement relevant to program requirements. For more information, contact a Lamar University enrollment specialist.
Ready to get started on your degree program online but need help finding ways to fund your education? We can help you discover student financing sources that include grants, loans and other payment options. Learn more about financial aid here.
Milestones to guide your student journey
Our Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Sciences online program features multiple start dates to accommodate your busy schedule. Find the start date that works best for you and apply before the application deadline associated with it.
Upcoming Start Dates:
|8 week courses||Program Start Date||Application Deadline||Document Deadline||Payment Due||Last Class Day|
Follow our streamlined admission requirements
The Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Sciences online program has specific requirements that applicants must meet to enroll. Please read the admission guidelines to ensure you qualify.
Submit your application and one-time $25 application fee online.
Submit transcripts from all colleges/universities you have attended.
* All applicants must submit official, sealed transcripts from each institution attended to the Admissions Office. All degrees must be from a regionally accredited institution. Send transcripts to: Lamar University, P.O. Box 10017, Beaumont, Texas 77710
Check to see if the program is offered to residents in your state before applying by clicking here.
All applicants must complete an application packet, consisting of:
- Complete online application and pay an application fee of $25
- Submit official transcripts from all high schools, colleges and universities you have attended
- All transcripts are required regardless of accreditation. Only regionally accredited institutions will be eligible for transfer credit.
- Be eligible to re-enter all colleges and/or universities previously attended
- Verify specific requirements associated with chosen degree program
High school graduates who have not attended college before are considered entering freshmen – even if they received college credit while in high school through dual credit, AP or IB programs. Transfer students with fewer than 18 hours of college credit also must meet admission requirements for entering freshmen.
Incoming freshmen must do three things to qualify for unconditional admission to Lamar University:
- Receive a diploma from an accredited high school
- Complete at least 14 high school credits in college preparatory courses: 4 credits in English, 3 credits in mathematics, 2 credits in laboratory sciences, 2.5 credits in social sciences (U.S. history, U.S. government, and world history or world geography) and 2.5 credits in college preparatory electives (preferably including 2 credits of foreign language)
- Meet the test-optional admission criteria or achieve a minimum composite score on the ACT or SAT through the secondary review criteria. (Click here for criteria)
Send all required documents to:
Lamar University Online Admissions
PO Box 10017
Beaumont, TX 77710
Submit electronically to [email protected]
B.S. in Computer Information Sciences Curriculum
Students are required to take MATH 2413 and MATH 2318. In addition, students will have a choice of either MATH 1342, 3370 or BUAL 2310
*Price includes distance learning fee.
Or call 866-223-7675
Ready to Get Started?
Begin your application today!