Master of Education in Counseling and Development with a Specialization in Professional School Counseling Online
This online degree program is designed to prepare school counselors to serve the academic, career, personal and social needs of culturally diverse students in the elementary, middle and secondary schools.
Learn how to identify risk factors and incorporate developmental, ethnical, legal and gender-appropriate strategies and techniques to meet the counseling needs of children and adolescents with the Master of Education in Counseling and Development with a Specialization in Professional School Counseling online.
In this program, you will examine various theoretical, behavioral and play therapy techniques and study effective interventions for children, adolescents and transitional-age youth at risk for developing, or who have developed, a recognized behavioral health disorder. You will also gain professional skills to help bridge community and school mental health services using an integrative approach.
Taught by the same award-winning faculty who teach on campus, this M.Ed. meets the educational coursework for the School Counseling Certification and Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) in Texas and includes one residency†, one 15-week practicum and one 15-week internship.
Lamar University's College of Education and Human Development is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
The following is the tuition breakdown for students pursuing Master of Education in Counseling and Development with a Specialization in Professional School Counseling. Our tuition is affordable, and can be paid by the course.
Tuition and fees are subject to change without notice due to action by the Board of Regents or the Texas State Legislature.
Total program cost depends upon transfer hours and program advisement relevant to program requirements. For more information, contact a Lamar University enrollment specialist.
Ready to get started on your degree program online but need help finding ways to fund your education? We can help you discover student financing sources that include grants, loans and other payment options. Learn more about financial aid here.
Our Master of Education in Counseling and Development with a Specialization in Professional School Counseling online program features multiple start dates to accommodate your busy schedule. Find the start date that works best for you and apply before the application deadline associated with it.
Upcoming Start Dates:
|5 week courses||Program Start Date||Application Deadline||Payment Due||Last Class Day|
The Master of Education in Counseling and Development with a Specialization in Professional School Counseling online program has specific requirements that applicants must meet to enroll. Please read the admission guidelines to ensure you qualify.
Submit your application and one-time $25 application fee online.
Submit documentation of your valid, state-issued teaching certificate.
Minimum 2.75 Undergraduate GPA
Applicants with a GPA below 2.75 in the institutional bachelor's will not be admitted.
University Admission Requirements
- Online Application & Fee: University requirements will be assessed by the online application through ApplyTexas.org. There is a one-time application fee of $25.
- Transcripts: Official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended*
- Undergraduate GPA of 2.75 or higher. Applicants with a GPA below 2.75 in the institutional bachelor's degree will not be admitted.
- U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
Waivers of any experience or certification requirements will be initiated by Lamar University Admissions staff as necessary in instances where they may not apply, such as applications from states that do not require certification for licensure.
The Department of Counseling Admissions Requirements
The Department of Counseling requires the following for admission to the program. Instructions for the department application and reference will be e-mailed to you after your ApplyTexas application is processed. Instructions for submitting additional documents will be e-mailed separately if accepted to the program.
- Department application with essay responses
- Reference: Reference from a principal or assistant principal who has supervised you.
- Teaching Certificate: Valid teaching certificate.** This does not include a probationary or permit issued certificate.
- Teaching Experience: Two years teaching experience. Applicants seeking certification in Texas should request a service record with an authorized signature from their HR office.
- Employment: Applicants seeking certification in Texas must conduct practicum/internship activities on a TEA-approved public or private school campus.*** To determine if your school is TEA approved, please use the following links: public school or private school.
View information regarding licensure outside the state of Texas. Students who do not conduct practicum activities on an approved campus in Texas are not eligible to apply for certification in Texas or take the Texas principal certification exam/assessment.
**Please note that out-of-state students may not be required to meet this criteria.
***Not applicable to out-of-state students unless taking the TExES Principal Exam.
Send all required documents to:Lamar University Online Admissions
PO Box 10017
Beaumont, TX 77710
Submit electronically to [email protected]
* Lamar University Office of Admissions will no longer require community college transcripts for graduate applicants. Official transcripts from all other institutions will be required. However, if a department or program wishes to review a community college transcript for decision purposes, the department or program may directly request the applicant to submit the official community college transcript(s) to the Office of Admissions for processing.
We reserve the right to review individual applicant qualifications for admission. Final determinations for admission are based upon a number of criteria. We reserve the right to refuse student entrance or terminate a student after admission to a program if, in the judgment of the faculty, the student demonstrates unacceptable professional fitness to practice in their particular field of study with children, youth, and/or adults.
Now that you have completed the Apply Texas application, click here for FAQ’s and next steps in the admissions process.
Courses in the M.Ed. in Counseling & Development - Professional School Counseling are designed to meet the educational requirements set forth by the state of Texas for counseling programs in Texas. View information regarding licensure outside the state of Texas.
*Price includes distance learning fee.
†The Residency courses require additional fees that are not covered in tuition. Please visit the following link for more information: Residency
Or call 866-223-7675
By submitting this form, I am providing my digital signature agreeing that Lamar University (LU) may email me or contact me regarding educational services by telephone and/or text message utilizing automated technology or a pre-recorded message at the telephone number(s) provided above. I understand this consent is not a condition to attend LU or to purchase any other goods or services.
Ready to Get Started?
Begin your application today!