Master of Public Administration Online
Earning an online Master of Public Administration from Lamar University is one of the best ways to advance your career and announce you’re ready for greater professional responsibilities. Our MPA leads to a wide variety of opportunities in policy development and implementation; disaster management; local, state and national government sectors; research; and nonprofit organizations.
Lamar University’s Master of Public Administration (MPA) online program provides you with the comprehensive education you need for advanced management positions. A valuable addition to your existing career—or a great start for a career change—this degree shows employers you’re serious about public service and committed to improving society.
The MPA program is designed for working professionals and allows you to decide when and where to attend online courses. This 100% online MPA program gives you the critical-thinking and decision-making skills you need to serve as a confident, competent leader for the public.
This online Master of Public Administration degree has 36 credit hours of coursework that emphasize state policy, constitutional law, ethics and morality in public administration, as well as the leadership methods, strategy and administrative politics necessary to bring about change in high-performance organizations. Major theoretical and practical approaches central to managing public sector organizations and problem-solving government issues are also examined.
The following is the tuition breakdown for students pursuing a Master of Public Administration. Our tuition is affordable, and can be paid by the course.
Tuition and fees are subject to change without notice due to action by the Board of Regents or the Texas State Legislature.
Total program cost depends upon transfer hours and program advisement relevant to program requirements. For more information, contact a Lamar University enrollment specialist.
Ready to get started on your degree program online but need help finding ways to fund your education? We can help you discover student financing sources that include grants, loans and other payment options. Learn more about financial aid here.
In addition to the textbook, some courses may require ancillary course materials that may range up to $150 each. Use of additional resources are at the discretion of each professor.
Our Master of Public Administration online program features multiple start dates to accommodate your busy schedule. Find the start date that works best for you and apply before the application deadline associated with it.
Upcoming Start Dates:
|8 week courses||Program Start Date||Application Deadline||Document Deadline||Payment Due||Last Class Day|
The Master of Public Administration online program has specific requirements that applicants must meet to enroll. Please read the admission guidelines to ensure you qualify. All students seeking admission to the public administration degree program must first meet the required standards of the College of Graduate Studies. Applicants must also have the approval of the Department of Political Science.
Submit your application and one-time $25 application fee online.
Undergraduate degree from an accredited university.
Minimum 2.6 undergraduate GPA
Students with an overall GPA of 3.25 and higher may be eligible for a GRE waiver.
MPA Admission Requirements
- Completed online application form (U.S. or international) and pay a one-time application fee of $25
- Submit official transcripts from all high schools, colleges, and universities you have attended.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in political science, public administration, emergency management, or the equivalent. Applicants with degrees in other fields are required to have taken an American Government course.
- Applicants with a conferred Master’s Degree may be granted a GRE waiver and unconditional admittance to the program and must meet all other prerequisite requirements.
- Overall GPA of 2.6 to 3.24 may be granted conditional admittance to the program and the student must maintain a GPA of 3.0 for each course in the first 9 hours of graduate coursework to continue in the program
- Overall GPA below a 2.6 must meet the GRE / GPA standards assigned for the College of Graduate Studies for Admittance according to the formula (GPA x 50) + (GRE Verbal + Quantitative) > or = 428
Send all required documents to:
Lamar University Online Admissions
PO Box 10017
Beaumont, TX 77710
Submit electronically to [email protected]
Check to see if the program is offered to residents in your state before applying by clicking here.
* All applicants must submit official, sealed transcripts from each institution attended to the Admissions Office. All degrees must be from a regionally accredited institution. Lamar University Office of Admissions will no longer require or college community college transcripts for graduate applicants. Official transcripts from all other institutions will be required. However, if a department or program wishes to review a community college transcript for decision purposes, the department or program may directly request the applicant to submit the official community college transcript(s) to the Office of Admissions for processing. Send transcripts to: Lamar University, P.O. Box 10017, Beaumont, Texas 77710
Coursework for this online MPA consists of 12 courses that total 36 hours and features public-private partnerships, leadership, policy formulation, state law and disaster policy. A thesis and non-thesis track are available.
Following completion of core courses, each student is required to take a competency exam that will demonstrate your ability to synthesize and apply material from the program. The exam is pass/fail and offered twice yearly.
To successfully earn the MPA degree, students must complete 36 hours of graduate work. These hours include 15 hours of core coursework. The non-thesis track includes 21 hours of supporting coursework. The thesis track includes 15 hours of supporting coursework and 6 hours of thesis coursework.
*Distance learning fee is included in the tuition listed.
Or call 866-223-7675
By submitting this form, I am providing my digital signature agreeing that Lamar University (LU) may email me or contact me regarding educational services by telephone and/or text message utilizing automated technology or a pre-recorded message at the telephone number(s) provided above. I understand this consent is not a condition to attend LU or to purchase any other goods or services.
Ready to Get Started?
Begin your application today!