Bachelor of Science in Communication Online
This online degree program integrates important aspects of communication theory and practice. You'll build skills in interpersonal communication, public speaking and media writing. Career options include advertising, sales, corporate communications, film, broadcasting and journalism.
Discover what the LU online BS in Communication program offers you
Delve into communication—the top-requested skill in the job market—and turn your love for connecting with people into an exciting career. Learn to captivate audiences on social media, craft impactful articles and speeches, produce thought-provoking videos, and stir emotions through digital ads with our Bachelor of Science in Communication degree. This 100% online program emphasizes storytelling and digital fluency to give you the career-relevant skills employers seek.
Exercise your creativity throughout assignments and get hands-on experience producing campaigns and videos for external clients. You will build a portfolio that showcases your abilities, helping you stand out as an impressive job candidate.
In this flexible, affordable online bachelor's degree you will learn to:
- Develop impactful content that engages your target audience
- Communicate social media campaign results using Hootsuite and Google Analytics
- Create compelling and visually stunning collateral and videos with Adobe Creative Cloud
- Speak with poise and confidence
- Contribute your expertise across any organization from corporate to non-profit to media and politics
Communication Career Options:
- Social media manager
- Content marketing manager
- Public relations specialist
- Corporate communications manager
This program enables you to develop foundational communication skills while nurturing your career growth with an in-demand track tailored to your specific goals: Communication Studies or Public Relations.
Communication Studies Track
Explore how to produce persuasive content in a real-world setting and hone your creative skills by designing captivating campaigns in various media formats. You will navigate the development and analysis of social media strategies and gain experience interviewing individuals and groups. You will also focus on political communication, from researching specific challenges and solutions to presenting well-informed reviews of political campaigns.
Public Relations Track
Learn to create engaging public relations materials—such as fact sheets, press releases, feature stories, brochures and web pages—for print, digital, social and broadcast media. You will gain valuable PR experience collaborating with a client to write, produce and direct a promotional video. Curriculum also focuses on corporate training and development activities that expand your skills in planning, budgeting and publishing content in learning management systems (LMS).
Lamar University offers a variety of specialized bachelor’s program options. Check out our other online undergraduate programs.
Find out how and when to pay your tuition
The following is the tuition breakdown for students pursuing Bachelor of Science in Communication. Our tuition is affordable, and can be paid by the course.
Tuition and fees are subject to change without notice due to action by the Board of Regents or the Texas State Legislature.
Total program cost depends upon transfer hours and program advisement relevant to program requirements. For more information, contact a Lamar University enrollment specialist.
Ready to get started on your degree program online but need help finding ways to fund your education? We can help you discover student financing sources that include grants, loans and other payment options. Learn more about financial aid here.
Know LU’s online dates and deadlines
Our Bachelor of Science in Communication online program features multiple start dates to accommodate your busy schedule. Find the start date that works best for you and apply before the application deadline associated with it.
Upcoming Start Dates:
|8 week courses||Program Start Date||Application Deadline||Document Deadline||Payment Due||Last Class Day|
Find your fit in our online communication studies program
The Bachelor of Science in Communication online program has specific requirements that applicants must meet to enroll. Please read the admission guidelines to ensure you qualify.
Submit your application and one-time $25 application fee online.
Submit official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended.
All applicants must submit official, sealed transcripts from each institution attended to the Admissions Office. All degrees must be from a regionally accredited institution. Send transcripts to: Lamar University Online Admissions, P.O. Box 10017, Beaumont, Texas 77710
Check to see if the program is offered to residents in your state before applying by clicking here.
All applicants must complete an application packet, consisting of:
- Complete online application and pay an application fee of $25.
- Submit official transcripts from all high schools, colleges, and universities you have attended.
- All transcripts are required regardless of accreditation. Only regionally accredited institutions will be eligible for transfer credit.
- Be eligible to re-enter all colleges and/or universities previously attended.
- Verify specific requirements associated with chosen degree program.
High school graduates who have not attended college before are considered entering freshmen – even if they received college credit while in high school through dual credit, AP or IB programs. Transfer students with fewer than 18 hours of college credit also must meet admission requirements for entering freshmen.
Incoming freshmen must do three things to qualify for unconditional admission to Lamar University:
- Receive a diploma from an accredited high school
- Complete at least 14 high school credits in college preparatory courses: 4 credits in English, 3 credits in mathematics, 2 credits in laboratory sciences, 2.5 credits in social sciences (U.S. history, U.S. government, and world history or world geography) and 2.5 credits in college preparatory electives (preferably including 2 credits of foreign language)
- Meet the test-optional admission criteria, or achieve a minimum composite score on the ACT or SAT through the secondary review criteria. (Click here for criteria)
Students transferring from other Lamar University programs into a College of Business program must have a minimum overall 2.0 grade point average (GPA) and, if applicable, a minimum 2.0 GPA in business courses.
Students transferring from other colleges or universities into a College of Business program must:
- Have an official copy of all college and/or university transcripts on file by application deadline.
- Be eligible to re-enter all colleges and/or universities previously attended.
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale for all work attempted.
- Students who transfer fewer than 18 hours must also submit and meet the entrance credentials and requirements of a first-time-in-college student.
Send all required documents to:
Lamar University Online Admissions
PO Box 10017
Beaumont, TX 77710
Submit electronically to [email protected]
Take a look at the topics you’ll study for this online communication degree program
To earn your Bachelor of Science in Communication, you need to complete 120 credit hours of coursework. The program includes 42 credit hours of general education courses and 30 credit hours of communication core courses. Students must choose a specialization track: Communication Studies or Public Relations. The Communication Studies track and the Public Relations track each include 21 credit hours of specialization courses and 27 hours of general elective courses. Students can finish faster by transferring previously earned credit hours. Transfer credit hours will be evaluated during the admission process.
Communication - 6 Hours
Mathematics - 3 Hours
Life and Physical Sciences - 6 Hours
Language, Philosophy and Culture - 3 Hours
Creative Arts - 3 Hours
American History - 6 Hours
Government/Political Science - 6 Hours
Social/Behavioral Sciences - 3 Hours
Component Area Options - 6 Hours
*Price includes distance learning fee.
Or call 866-223-7675
By submitting this form, I am providing my digital signature agreeing that Lamar University (LU) may email me or contact me regarding educational services by telephone and/or text message utilizing automated technology or a pre-recorded message at the telephone number(s) provided above. I understand this consent is not a condition to attend LU or to purchase any other goods or services.
Ready to Get Started?
Begin your application today!